The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Bosporthennis Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Bosporthennis Quoit
Prehistoric Hut?
22 messages
Select a forum:
I have just purchased on EBay a wonderful book published in 1930 by the CPRE called "Cornwall, Coast, Moors and Valleys". The book is mainly a survey of the county looking at what should be preserved for the future. One chapter is dedicated to The Antiquities and is written by Charles Henderson.

There is much to plough through and I am sure you will hear more about the book as I read on but just to start things off. There is a picture in the section of a Prehistoric hut at Bosporthennis, now I visited the quoit earlier in the year and Moth and Jane have been since but I take it they like I did not go looking for a prehistoric hut?

Does anybody else know of this hut? Has anyone out there got a book that might feature it?

The OS map marks several settlements in the area so it maybe one of those. The photo is taken inside the hut and shows some very roughly built walls with a large lintle over what could be a fireplace. Later in the text it is mentioned that the "bee-hive" hut at Bosporthennis is apparently prehistoric but those at Fernacre on Bodmin Moor are probably later.

Anyone off to West Penwith in the near future?

Mr H

Reply | with quote
Mr Hamhead
Posted by Mr Hamhead
5th October 2004ce
23:05

Messages in this topic: