The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Grimsay Wheelhouse Forum Start a topic | Search
Grimsay Wheelhouse
Name change required ?
7 messages
Select a forum:
More amazing than its non-appearance on CANMORE is that nothing is shown in the vicinity using Oldmap through Archsearch (mind you ARCHI fails to come up with the two duns on the islets in Loch Hornary, unlike ArchSearch , which is a bit of a poor advert for their paying service). I see that it is above an area of sand called Bagh nam Feadag, after the plovers, and wondered if this name could be used in order to avoid possible confusion with similar structures in the Grimsay area ?
On the modern map a long zigzagging wall is showing in the area of the wheelhouse. This instantly reminded me of the low intermittent one along the coast leading up to the Knowe of Verron broch. I only made proper inspection of this a few days ago and at 0.9m across this seems more of a structure than would be required for a simple drystane wall boundary, more especially a 4m by 8m corner (possibly seperate from the rest of the coastal walling as it doesn't seem to hug the sinuous coastline as that does) that turns where the coastline comes up to the broch itself. Were there any walls of similar dimensions in the proximity of the wheelhouse ?

Reply | with quote
wideford
Posted by wideford
1st October 2004ce
18:06

Messages in this topic: