The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: call in ground force!
55 messages
Select a forum:
Your average visitor to Stonehenge is probably unaware of Avebury's existence. They go to Stonehenge to see Stonehenge. Seeing Avebury instead of Stonehenge is not what the average visitor wants to do.

Just as visitors to Egypt want to see the Great Pyramid of Cheops, visitors to England want to see Stonehenge.

Those who move on to Avebury at solstice time aren't average visitors. I'm one. At summer solstice I like to be at Avebury before and after the open access time at Stonehenge. Very few do as I do and visit both sites at solstice. Driving to and from Stonehenge from Avebury at solstice time, the roads are clear, whereas the A303 has long queues. The official attendance figure at Avebury for this year's summer solstice was 300-400 people. Even if they'd all come from Stonehenge, that's not an overwhelming number.

:o)

Baz

Reply | with quote
baza
Posted by baza
17th September 2004ce
10:27

In reply to:

Re: call in ground force! (VenerableBottyBurp)

1 reply:

Re: call in ground force! (VenerableBottyBurp)

Messages in this topic: