The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Long Meg & Her Daughters Forum Start a topic | Search
Long Meg & Her Daughters
Re: Groove on Prostrate Stone ?
21 messages
Select a forum:
Well spotted. It looks like a low-grade rock carving. I'm in the field maybe nine miles NNW of here and have some (vaguely) similar 'cupmarks' on an upland boundary stone there. See also Duddo main rock and one or two in Smithills - and your wobbly triangle. Proto-Runic script perhaps. I suspect that many of the obviously carved rocks have been destroyed by the 'Puritans' (hello, Gandalf) and that we're left now with the obscurities.

(Hob is doing an excellent job of unravelling those obscurities further north, but has yet to find the rock near 'Homer's Lane, Hexham'. It's here and on the SMR. I've found a good notch, Hob, at lunar maximum set, but have still not configured 'send' email.)

White Sultan has me under 12 hr surveillance - it's starting to wear a bit thin - if only his shooting agent would send a large cheque (etc).

Gone !

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
14th September 2004ce
19:26

In reply to:

Groove on Prostrate Stone ? (Rivington Pike)

1 reply:

Re: Homer's Lane (Hob)

Messages in this topic: