The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Callanish Forum Start a topic | Search
Callanish
Cailleach na Mointeach shadow effect?
15 messages
Select a forum:
Whilst at Callanish a few weeks ago, we were blessed with a nice clear day. Julie & I spent all afternoon & all night at the stones, and as the sun was setting, (quite late, as it does up there), we were discussing 'sleeping beauty'. I'm a bit sceptical of alignments to hill figures and the like, but still enjoy reading the theories.
We were sitting in the van drinking wine & eating cheese (ooohh to be back there doing that!!).
As the sun got lower, the head of the figure took on a weird effect. We could see not just the silhouette of the face, but nostrils, chin, eye sockets. . the sun was casting shadows and creating a wonderful contours that made the hill figure look 3-D.
Our conversation went a bit like . .

"look at the head!!"
"wow!!"
"can you see her nose"
"yes, and eyes. . ."
"how much have we drunk?"
"about a bottle, that's all. . "

My digital camera (with a zoom) had lost its battery power, so all I had was my SLR, with a bleedin' wide angle lens! I took a photo anyway but it's turned out rubbish.
Has anyone else heard of this 'shadow effect', or even got any photos of it?
Or was it simply the result of good claret and two starry eyed dreamers?

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
30th August 2004ce
12:16

Messages in this topic: