The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Simonside Forum Start a topic | Search
Simonside
Re: Step in Paulus!
40 messages
Select a forum:
fitzcoraldo wrote:
I've just spent two days sitting in a field re-reading Paul Bennetts excellent The Old Stones of Elmet.
Paul comments upon the frequent occurence of this name in the England. He remarks that "considering that personal names, when applied to hills, are of such a rare occurence, we must look for another solution"
Paul explores the druidical links looking at the druidical tradition and Simon Magus.

I found this in the online etymology dictionary "Simon, which is from simos "snub-nosed."

Yes, it is a hebrew name. 'Simon' of Simonside fame is an example of a name turning into another (or atleast looking like another). I think it is safe to say that Simon isn't Jewish or a Druid, 'Simund' (of 'Simundessete) sounds too much like Sigemund (the G being more of a Y in Old English).

'Simon Magus' isn't really a druid but a Gnostic Christian. Whether he existed is up to debate...

The site likely was used by pre-Angle Celtic druids, however.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Dvergish_King
15th April 2007ce
18:45

In reply to:

Step in Paulus! (fitzcoraldo)

1 reply:

Re: Step in Paulus! (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: