The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Creswell Crags Forum Start a topic | Search
Creswell Crags
Re: Creswell Crags.
35 messages
Select a forum:
Stu, to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed this time, probably because I'd seen what we were shown before. In April, I was on the last tour of the last day, so I may have seen more than you that time. Also, there was no hurry to get back because there was no one else to follow us.

I had the same bloke again, The Curator. It started off well; I managed to persuade him not to stop at the lake for a talk - we'd come to see the cave art and I wanted to spend as much time in the cave as possible. On arrival, I was disappointed to see the viewing platform was a few feet lower than before. You didn't warn me about that. The only art which was new to me was the other animals within the deer. As before, I was the only one asking questions. I became known as The Anorak. He didn't have a map with him and his eyesight didn't seem to be as good as it should have been. He couldn't find 'the vulva' so I pointed it out to him. Whilst he was talking to the others I left them to it and had a look about myself. I saw an animal with a slopeing back, like a hyena, but he couldn't see it. Jokingly, he asked me if I wanted a job; seriously, I replied "Yes please".

I'm going back again next Saturday! I'll have a different guide as the curator retires today, so I expect to see more. His departure is a loss to Creswell Crags as he's a good bloke. He wants us to be allowed into the cave and see the cave art as we did in April. I hope the monitoring equipment doesn't show up any problems.

I reckon you and I can regard ourselves as experts in British prehistoric cave art as only a handful of people have spent more time looking at it than us. :o)

Baz

Reply | with quote
baza
Posted by baza
6th September 2004ce
16:56

In reply to:

Re: Creswell Crags. (stubob)

2 replies:

Re: Creswell Crags. (rocknicker)
Re: Creswell Crags. (stubob)

Messages in this topic: