The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Creswell Crags Forum Start a topic | Search
Creswell Crags
Re: Neolithic "sistine chapel"
6 messages
Select a forum:
"Dr Pettitt believes the total number of images is less than the number suggested by Dr Ripoll and others and that some "are in the eye of the beholder". He is also positive that one image described as bird shows instead the buttocks and legs of a fat woman."

I did wonder if there'd be an element of Terence Meaden's 'faces at Avebury' involved! - but whatever, that's really cool - and isn't it totally new to have figurative art carved like that in this country? Am I right in thinking all the rock art has been the apparently abstract cup and ring variety before? (oh apart from the feet below at least)

Also, it's interesting they were spotted early in the morning when the light was 'right' - I mean, there wouldnt have been much erosion in the cave since the day it was made would there?? so they couldn't have been very deeply carved to begin with? Grinsell and his colleague spotted the feet on the [[Pool Farm Cist]] when the light was just in the right angle.

more half formed thoughts from Rhiannon

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
14th July 2004ce
15:42

In reply to:

Neolithic "sistine chapel" (PMM)

Messages in this topic: