The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Shap Avenues Forum Start a topic | Search
The Shap Avenues
Re: Good spots
5 messages
Select a forum:
Wow! You two did some serious stone spotting on the Shap Avenues! Nice.

A quick question about these:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/29820

They sure look like 'good uns', but I couldn't help noticing that all the other avenues seem to have had 'un-split' boulders. Are all the other stones 'un-split' or is that just the way they look on the photos? If so how do you think that this alters the likelyhood of these ones being the other avenue?

Would be great if they are the real deal.

I pointed out the split boulders as I thought this may correspond with the destruction and re-use of the avenues stones.
Stu and I set ourselves the task of identifying all of the large Shap Granite stones that had not been produced in the quarry and could therefore qualify as being remnants of the avenue that had been re-used in the fabric of the village.
We have shedloads of pictures and found some quite large stones that don't feature in any survey of the avenue.
I'm currently trying to write a weblog that will hopefuly explain what we discoverd.

One very interesting thing we found was, that there was an abundance of shap granite boulders being used in and around the southern end of the village but once the avenue had turned away from the village we found not a single one. The remaining two thirds of the village was contstructed of modern materials or local limestone.

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
2nd July 2004ce
18:53

In reply to:

Good spots (FourWinds)

1 reply:

Re: Good spots (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: