The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arbor Low Forum Start a topic | Search
Arbor Low
Re: axes
82 messages
Select a forum:
My bit of wood (which has lain under the elements for three weeks) looks as though it has been chopped downwards, once from the left and once from the right and then snapped off. I suspect a stone tool and wonder whether there were rudimentary gloves. The tree cover then is anomalous as it's on top of a peat deposit - so must just have been a warm spell - I suspect rough axes were also chipped out of whatever stone was to hand.

I've found a robbed long barrow today on a previously unwalked site. The stone's been taken for walls mainly. At the middle it's quite close to original ground level if anyone fancies pronging it for a central cist. It overlooks a ritual landscape (as they say). The Alston policeman still wears an old-fashioned hat (incidentally). I wish he drove a Ford Anglia, with the Yardbirds playing in the background, but it's not. I've found the Balfour-Beatty Tracked Vehicle, on his trailer, hidden away beside the Playing Fields.

Are there other 'lowes' with surrounding henges ?

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
6th July 2004ce
21:48

In reply to:

Re: axes (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: