The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arbor Low Forum Start a topic | Search
Arbor Low
Re: What Is It??
82 messages
Select a forum:
My views on the movements of axes are very much coloured by what I have read coupled with my many visits to the Cumbrian monuments.
A couple of days ago Stubob & myself returned from our latest trip. We saw huge stones, massive avenues, circles that seemed totally out of proportion in their size and frequency to the projected population of the area, we stood in an 'Irish henge' and then walked a couple of hundred yards to a 'Yorkshire Henge' the following day we visited a circle with a Derbyshire vibe.
Why so many flavours?
I can't say for sure that the axe trade was driving this but my heart & my head tells me that something major was occuring in the late Neolithic /early Bronze Age in the Cumbrian fells and from all the available information I reckon that the procurement of stone axes was a major ingredient.
What we do know is that Langdale axes are found all over Britain and Ireland, so someone was coming here to collect and distribute them throughout our islands.

"Two guys were looking at some shirts in a shop window.
One said 'That's the one I'd get', when the owner of the shop, a cyclops, came out and kicked his head in."

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
2nd July 2004ce
20:50

In reply to:

Re: What Is It?? (FourWinds)

2 replies:

Re: What Is It?? (FourWinds)
Re: What Is It?? (BrigantesNation)

Messages in this topic: