The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Advice - Travel times to Orkeney & Lewis?
39 messages
Select a forum:
I decided to do it all. Lewis & Orkney. One week of what Jane rightly calls 'Hollwood Sites'. And I got back 'bout an hour ago. I've been driving for nearly 11 hours. Strewth!
Get this - I was in Orkney this morning!!!
And now I'm back in Wolverhampton. (It's a little different to Orkney!)
Since last Sunday, I've been to-
Castlerigg on a monday(what a placement!)
Long Meg Monday afternoon (fantastic. . I drew a groundplan of every stone. . so I was there a while!).
Stayed at Penrith Travel-Lodge (Well, it's famous isn't it "gimme the keys bitch!!)
Callanish Wednesday, after a night in Ullapool- Arrived mid-day, visiteted the other circles, met Margeret of the stones, and stayed there all night, slept in me van. (the visitor's centre toilets are still open all night !! BONUS!!) Spent ages scoffing abourt the 'Mother Figure' in the hills, then, when the sun cast it's final shadow. . we saw a nose.. eyes. . contours of a femail face!! or was it the wine & the excitement... ?
Callanish is unlike anything else in the megailithic world. Smaller, more compact than I excpected. . the stones are like wood, with graining . . they look delicate and new. . if you haven't been, it's worth it. . but the Isle is sparse, and the three stone circles by Callanish can be viewed in a couple of hours.
Thursday - Caught the early ferry, (hungover but still mad for it) to Ullapool, then drove to Scrabster & caught the ferry to Orkney.
Stopped at the 'Standing Stones Hotel' for 3 nights. It's in Stenness between the Stenness stones and Unstan. WE spent a night drinking and eating cheese at Stenness Stones. . and last night watched the sunset from Brodgar. .
And I've been in 3 chambered tombs. Me knees are red raw!
Maes Howe is fucking fantastic. Never thought I'd like it as much . . being a circles enthousiast and all.
Orkney is the greatest Megalithis trip outside Avebury. I'm convinced. Like Avebury, if you spend enough time there you get a proper sense of the 'greater aspect' or landscape.
I'm sooo tired, please excuse the bad spelling etc. . but I wanted you to know I (respectfully) decided against waiting 'till next year to do either Lewis or Orkney. You were right, it's a f*cking hell of a lot of travelling, and there were no 'relaxing' holiday hours with me feet up reading a book. . but what a trip!
Sorry for rambling, but we are so lucky to live on these Isles. . there are such treasures here. I'm going to bed now. I've had a fantastic time, and should perhaps have left this for me weblog.
Ahhh but Orkney. .

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
18th July 2004ce
23:35

Messages in this topic: