The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Swastika Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
The Swastika Stone
Eeh-by-gum v. streuth
40 messages
Select a forum:
Re: http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/95#news

I find this story absolutely fascinating.

Why is it so strange that Throwing Sticks, aka, boomerangs, should not be developed in West Yorkshire AND Australia, or in fact everywhere? - cos they're really useful when hunting animals. They have certainly been using throwing sticks in Africa for 1000s of years. There are carvings on rocks in Namibia and Algeria showing ancient peoples hunting with throwing sticks.

This story is surely more about a modern tribal competitiveness between pale-skinned, salt-of-the-earth Yorkshirefolk getting one over on bronzed, muscle-bound 'Strilians.

To suggest that Ilkley Moor is the birthplace of the boomerang is a pile of utter bollocks. I concur that the swastika design on the stone *could* be a weapon, but isn't it also the case that swirls and spirals and stuff are common themes throughout rock art?

I see no reason to be 'amazed' at this, though I do concede it makes a great, patriotic '... and finally...' story.
J
x

Reply | with quote
Jane
Posted by Jane
10th May 2004ce
10:33

Messages in this topic: