The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Sliganagh Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Sliganagh
Re: Comments please
22 messages
Select a forum:
Just behind where I'm standing is a very, very pagan church (I'll post another link to explain that one soon). Looking at the map and doing a bit of line drawing I think I've seen something rather interesting, but a proper visit is required. If I'm right then it's a mind blower.

The valley floor between is possibly a flood plain. The squarish looking marks formed by the grasses could be an old field system associated with the Friary about a mile away or the could be modern field drainage made to reclaim the boggy flat bit. Again, a visit is needed to work out if they're walls or trenches (you can't say ditch in Ireland because that just means a field boundary: wall or trench!).

The three banks that overlook it I was refering to are the trees behind it. They form a U-shape around it.

There is a road just above and behind it, but it would not make a very good fort to guard the road as anyone on the road could fire down on to the fort, even with a tower.

It is a beautiful spot. It obviously thought of as a significant landmark because it has been used to determine a bend in the county border.

The size isn't a problem for it to be a motte. There are zillions of them around this size in Ireland. The local clans started adopting them (rather than the old rath) when the Normans came along, so like Roman stuff in Britain it could be 'Normanised' locals rather than your actual Norman.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
10th May 2004ce
07:02

In reply to:

Re: Comments please (Paulus)

2 replies:

Re: Comments please (FourWinds)
Re: very, very pagan... (Wotan)

Messages in this topic: