The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury Hill - Dr Brown from EH writes
55 messages
Select a forum:
"There was a general viewing point of maybe an eighth of a mile by an eighth of a mile where the profile of the little hill, the cairn, and the big hill, the drumlin, were the same."

I hereby coin the phrase "reverse viewshed" for that viewing area. It's a concept that ought to be studied, but isn't, so far as I know.
I have intended if I ever get round to it, to try to plot a reverse viewshed for Silbury. Starting with the hypothesis that as seen from Avebury South circle Silbury just peeping over Waden might be a deliberate effect, and the further assumption that if so, they'd intended it to be for a particular spot, you could plot all the points where it's just not visible, and if that formed an arc that was centred on the obelisk, for instance, it would be strong evidence to suggest it was deliberate.

Stone Rowing it ain't, but it amuses me.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
25th April 2004ce
09:34

2 replies:

Re: Silbury (Littlestone)
Re: Silbury Hill - Dr Brown from EH writes (Steve Gray)

Messages in this topic: