The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Sea Henge Forum Start a topic | Search
Sea Henge
Re: Icknield way
26 messages
Select a forum:
If you approach thru' the woods (turn left at the gate out of the car park rather than going down to the beach), follow the track past a small lake (or big pool... whatever you will!) raised hide with walkways, n' through the back yard of an old house, you'll eventually spot another raised hide on the edge of the wood... you can get a good view across the camp from there.

There's a track that leads across the marsh back towards the road and past the camp. It's still quite well defined with good deep ditches and a raised causway leading off into the woods (which the hide stands on). I'll post my pics when I get them developed.

Caistor St Eds is only about a 5 min drive from the henge. I think it was established by the Romans after Boudicca's revolt was crushed... I'm not sure if ow't stood on the spot before. It'd be interesting to find the settlement and field systems of the people who built the henge... they must be fairly nearby!

Reply | with quote
Kozmik_Ken
Posted by Kozmik_Ken
22nd March 2004ce
13:18

In reply to:

Re: Icknield way (juamei)

1 reply:

Re: Icknield way (wideford)

Messages in this topic: