The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: New Druid burial site?
39 messages
Select a forum:
I'd have thought , that if they had asked for a " native religions group" cemetary, they would have been nearer the mark. Lets face it, the spiritual religious aspect of these isles, is that most common to paganism. Modern Druid orders, cannot possibly be the descendants of the pre-christian druid orders, as we all know that writing was considered unfit for translation of the rites and beliefs of the day. The original druid orders came to be, on the back of earlier pagan fertility/death/farming/SURVIVAL religious practices. I dont think that the modern druid orders are really trying to convince anyone who understands history ,that they are the rightful priests of that religious aspect, but.... they are the only people around today trying to model themselves on what is known about the pre-christian druids of these islands. and to give them their due, because we dont live in pre-historic times, ie we are nice and comfy in our brick built barratt houses, with nice warm central heating, and endless food supplies from local supermarkets, i think it unfair to try and say that they could'nt possibly be druids, because they are..... THEY SAY THEY ARE SO THEY MUST BE. Life today does not have the same trials and tribulations as life on Windmill hill in the early Neolithic, so it would unwise to suggest that the same rites for survival ( cos lets face it , every aspect of life in those days was about surviving as comfortably as possible ) should be in use in these modern times. Maybe its Druidry of today that gets the stick, rather than druidry, because as far as history is concerned , todays druids are an easy target without text books and evidence to support their beliefs.

Reply | with quote
Posted by ToxicDelerium
7th March 2004ce
23:50

In reply to:

Re: New Druid burial site? (FourWinds)

4 replies:

Re: New Druid burial site? (Pete G)
Soooo (Pete G)
Re: New Druid burial site? (FourWinds)
Finders keepers (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: