The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury & the Marlborough Downs Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
Non-existant stone circle
6 messages
Select a forum:
Last night I was talking to a tractor driver in the pub and he told me that he had made a discovery I would be interested in.
Over the last 2 days he has been deep ploughing a field near Avebury that hasn't been ploughed for years. He was told that if he come across any sarsen stones to phone the farm and they would get a JCB to drag the stones out of the filed.
Over the two days he found around 60 stones between 4 and 6 ft long arranged in a circle.
SO. This morning I went to the site to take a look and found a ring of holes where the stones once were.
I went back to the farm and asked the farmer if he knew of any monuments in the field and he told me that many years ago there was a pond in the middle of the field and all the stones they found when ploughing were placed around it. During the drought of 1977 the pond dried up and he filled it in.
Ah well....
PeteG

Reply | with quote
Pete G
Posted by Pete G
27th February 2004ce
13:50

2 replies:

Re: Non-existant stone circle (VenerableBottyBurp)
Re: Non-existant stone circle (BlueGloves)

Messages in this topic: