The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Sea Henge Forum Start a topic | Search
Sea Henge
Re: Sea burial
76 messages | Lock Topic
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
StoneGloves wrote:
"if he’s still remembered fifty years hence he’ll certainly have achieved a degree of notoriety if not respectability"

His reputation might last - but his walls won't!

Is longevity (of the "canvas " )an index of artistry ?

Much of landscape art has disappeared , i.e. Long's "walk ", it's part of the charm .

This turned into an interesting debate and although on the surface off topic, there is a tangential connection as the discussion started out about whether Seahenge should have been left to the elements.
I've seen Damien Hirst's 'cow in formaldehyde' and Tracy Emin's 'bed' first hand - one made me feel physically sick, the other was interesting in a voyeristic way. I encountered art out in the open last summer when I walked the sculpture trail in the Forest of Dean ... as nature always changes there is something very special about 'art in nature'. I've just been looking at Andy Goldsworthy's stonework (if that's what you do Stonegloves I applaud you). I've managed to go through life without seeing much of AG's work before (except perhaps art cards) and I'm guessing thats because he worked mainly in the north of England before moving to Scotland ... that in itself shows good taste.

http://www.sculpture.org.uk/image/504816331403/25/

PS: I worked for a good few years helping to provide services to people with learning difficulties/disabilities (previously known as mentally handicapped) and I just happen to think the word 'moron' is denigrating in the extreme.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
28th January 2011ce
21:25

In reply to:

Re: Sea burial (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Sea burial (The Eternal)

Messages in this topic: