The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Sea Henge Forum Start a topic | Search
Sea Henge
Re: Sea burial
76 messages | Lock Topic
Select a forum:
The reason I mentioned Andy Goldsworthy was not for a discussion on taste but the fact that he was squeezed into a thread about Seahenge ,which was changed into one about dry stone walling when had nothing to do with the site and the only reason he was mentioned was to get a cheap gratuitous shot at him .

Well, in the grand tradition of TMA thread subversion, that sort of thing happens all the time (and long may it continue :-) StoneGloves does have a point however when he says, “It's a pity that the old skills have no champion, and that they are rapidly being lost. I guess I must have mentioned before that my friend has become the boss of the Crafts Council and keeping the craft skills alive is one thing that motivates her.”

People like Andy Goldsworthy are two a penny (I’ll list a half a dozen others in the British art world over the last 30 years who've had ooh-ahhs sung about their work and who are no more). Traditional crafts however are hardly given a mention in this country, although elsewhere their practitioners can and do gain the status of ‘Intangible Cultural Properties’ or ‘Living National Treasures’. I’ve had the privilege to meet some of those – sadly they are no more, nor are the crafts and traditions for which they were the final custodians.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
28th January 2011ce
19:14

In reply to:

Re: Sea burial (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Sea burial (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: