The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Sea Henge Forum Start a topic | Search
Sea Henge
Re: Seahenge
76 messages | Lock Topic
Select a forum:
Here's what Mick Aston said:

"Seahenge controversy

We also made a documentary – a new experiment for Time Team – at the strange prehistoric site called 'Seahenge' on the Norfolk coast. Since this has generated some controversy I thought I would explain Time Team's role and the part played by individuals.

The timber circle on the beach was well known to the locals apparently. English Heritage (the national body charged with the protection of the historic environment) took the decision to move the timbers as it was argued that they were being eroded by the sea.

The Norfolk Archaeology Unit were employed to carry out the excavation and the recording. Francis Pryor and Maisie Taylor of Flag Fen at Peterborough were in charge of conservation of the timbers, and further study of them at Flag Fen.

Various members of Time Team were only marginally involved in these activities, where we acted rather like Tony as presenters, asking the questions and trying to put the site into some sort of context. Right at the end we were asked to build a replica with tools and techniques in use at the time of the Bronze Age. All this was filmed by Graham Johnson, to us a new producer/director, using a 'mini cam' camera (a high quality very small digital video camera). He has made a lot of fly-on-the-wall films and here tried to capture the various issues and points of view involved.

So far I have had messages equally appalled and enthused by the programme. To those who regret the removal (or destruction) of the site I would just add that several similar sites are removed (by gravel extraction or road building) each year in other parts of the country. So far no fuss has been made about these, which suggests to me either it was the good preservation of the timbers or the enormous publicity which set some people off about the Seahenge site".

And, on the subject of Tony Robinson, it seems that criticising his style is like criticising Ringo's drumming. Pedantic, perhaps, but without it there'd be no band.

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
20th January 2011ce
09:58

In reply to:

Re: Seahenge (Littlestone)

2 replies:

Re: Seahenge (Littlestone)
Re: Seahenge (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: