The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Brodgar & Stenness
17 messages
Select a forum:
I'm not sure what a Burl-style book is . There is nothing I see on just the stone circles and the book "The Chambered Cairns of Orkney" is an 11x7x3/4" hardback I had for £35 and may be out of print now . For a good book on Orkney generally there is "The Islands of Orkney" by Liv Kjorsvik Schei ( missing Character Map for o/ letter ) , a £20 hardback . Much more suited to our purposes is a book I have just seen in the newsagents . This would definitely suit a decent-size pocket or being carried about as it is a £7.99 paperback by one of our archaeologists . "Orkney A Historical Guide" by Caroline Wickham Jones is divided into periods and each chapter has a good sampling of sites - having briefly glimpsed I am pleased to see that even the likes of Oxtro Broch have a brief paragraph ( must buy myself a copy sometime to add to my collection ! ) .
If you come via Kirkwall there is a fair selection of archaeology books in the big (for Orkney) newsagent at the corner of Bridge Street and Albert Street . In Stromness there is Stromness Books and Prints to be recommended . And I especially like the selection in the Skara Brae
bookshop , the best selection of all I think .

Reply | with quote
wideford
Posted by wideford
20th February 2004ce
15:05

In reply to:

Re: Brodgar & Stenness (Jane)

Messages in this topic: