The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Brodgar & Stenness
17 messages
Select a forum:
It's going to take a week I think.
Day one. .
Early start to Cumbria, Castlerigg & Long Meg, stopping at a travel tavern (gimme the keys bitch). Then a day travelling to Lewis. Haven't found a place to stop in Lewis yet, but after a night or two there I'll go to the 'Standing Stones' hotel on mainland Orkney- 1 mile from the Stones of Stenness. I want to stop two nights on Orkney. Whilst I am there, it won't get properly dark, I've read they call it the 'simmer dim' up there - you can still read a book at 1am.
Aberdeenshire on the way back down.
Jane made a very valid point - time should be spent at these places. Time to sit, read, write or scetch, scratch yer back . . .
I don't want to spoil site visits by doing too much, but I hope giving myself a week will allow me enough time to get the 'feel' of these places. It's several months away, and I've got to fine tune my itinery. . but yea, it's gonna be a right trip! Luckily, it'll be summer & the days will be long. I've got a diesel van, and Summer Garland will share driving chores.
Job's a good 'un!

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
20th February 2004ce
11:39

In reply to:

Re: Brodgar & Stenness (moey)

Messages in this topic: