The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: putting them back up
103 messages
Select a forum:
Sorry - I was joking about the buildings and there really is no room for irony in web text. From Pete's screensaver - which is virtually all I know of Avebury - there seems to be a ropey WI hut (surely that could go!)

There are no doubts as to how the stones were set, it's just that that method no longer fulfils safety laws. When a big stone starts moving it doesn't take any prisoners. Ie the squashed barber.

It now 'seems' as though there were four stone rows in Smithills, Bolton. One each for the stations of the 18.6 year lunar calendrical cycle. I'll eventually persuade the good burghers to be allowed put some of the stones back up. If we estimate that learning process at about ten years and allow the same period of time for the Avebury paperwork to 'come through' then we have the beginning of a plan.

A more radical approach would include replacing the stones that have been destroyed, as well. Holymire, contemporary with Avebury, has some suitable big rocks, there are plenty of other piles of big stones where circles have been broken too far for restoration. Might as well use them for spares.

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
5th December 2003ce
07:55

In reply to:

Re: putting them back up (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: putting them back up (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: