The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: What, precisely, are we talking about?
183 messages
Select a forum:
I would say any campaign, no matter how apparently small, is a very significant endeavour. I chose Thornborough believe it or not, because it is an easy one. The smaller the site the bigger the problem. Avebury, on the face of it is an easy one, but don't think that by having a letterhead you will have any greater impact that you would alone. The group, whatever it looks like, must have teeth.

Teeth come in various forms, be they causing intense embarassment by showing a well documented inconsistent or tardy approach, or they can come in the form of the threat of intense media attention. Either way these things take planning. Often, the letter writing approach, in terms of digging for the embarasing information can take years.

I suggest that Heritage Action, takes action! Instead of talking why not do some doing. Set up a website identifying the issues at Silbury and start gathering information. Set up an online petition and start getting a few signatures - the more people sign the better you perceived support will be. Set up a public event at Silbury and invite the media (A nice rally from Avebury to Silbury would sort it) - but make sure it's legal and well attended, let the authorities know what you are doing and Heritage Action will begin to form into a cohesive thing. After the event at Avebury, hold a public meeting where opinion can be sought about what Heritage Action should be fighting for. You may well need a mdia event prior to this. A headline of "Silbury Hill is collapsing" might do it.

Just an idea.

This topic is locked
Posted by BrigantesNation
7th November 2003ce
16:08

Messages in this topic: