The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
What, precisely, are we talking about?
183 messages
Select a forum:
There are 2 visions for this:

(A.) The organization as a centralised entity
...great for minimising the risk that loose cannons might ruin our reputation but also necessitating a high degree of sustained enthusiasm from people willing to run it, and carrying a chance we could get bureaucratic/inefficient and liable to tensions between rulers and ruled.

(B) The organization as I originally had in mind (without thinking about it too much admittedly) - a modest attempt to set up a community based facility, under a single banner to enable people singly or in groups to publicise and run their own campaigns, putting in as much or as little time and effort as they wished. User friendly and efficient, but with a high risk of being discredited.

We have to choose something between those two parameters.

My preference is for my original idea, but tightened up by means of control mainly through the pre-published rules. That's not as safe as having a committee vetting everything but still, "keep to them or bugger off" ought to be enough for most purposes. After all, we mustn't forget we're only talking about selected conservationists here, not delinquents. I know we'll need a bit of admin here and there but I'd seen it essentially as a platform - in fact The Heritage Action Platform isn't a bad title.

When ES talked of "legal, secretarial, fund raising and publicity" functions and an "Executive of 3 - 5 people" I realised that what he, and others - perhaps a majority - has picked up wasn't a laid back useful federation but a go-getting fighting machine with a formal structure. I can see that resources like that would be good for big ongoing fights like Thornborough, but for the other sorts of activities, small scale hassling of NT and EH they'd be an irrelevant burden. I don't need no secretarial or legal help to write letters and I certainly don't want to run my stuff past an Executive. It's not that I'm arrogant, it's just that it wouldn't be fun. So what I'm saying is -beware bureaucracy, it DOES make things less pleasant, and if you must have some don't let it encroach on the small entrepreneur.

This topic is locked
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
7th November 2003ce
08:03

In reply to:

Serious Conservation 2 (Moth)

Messages in this topic: