The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Thornborough Henges Forum Start a topic | Search
15 messages
Select a forum:
In the light of last night's programme about the Thornborough Henges I've just spammed all the potentially sympathetic people in my email address book.

It strikes me that, if we all did this, it would increase awareness of the problem and increase the number of signatories on the petition.

Anyway, here's my email. Feel free to use it, rip it apart etc.

Kammer x

----------------------------

Hi all,

First off, my apologies for spamming you (I'm a bad man).

Some of you may have watched 'Time Flyers' on BBC2 last night. It was all about the amazing triple Thornborough henges in Yorkshire. Dating back to 3500 BC the henges are a unique set of prehistoric monuments, contemporary with the earliest phases of Stonehenge. They were essentially the cathedrals of Neolithic Britain, and were in use for longer than Christianity has even existed.

What the Time Flyers programme failed to even mention is that the quarrying company Tarmac are proposing to remove nearly all the land surrounding the henges to within approximately 10 metres of them. What will be left will be a deep water filled ditch which will be 8m deep and up to half a kilometre wide.

This will completely alter the setting of the henges and destroy the archaeology that remains within the surrounding countryside. The Thornborough henges were in use for well over 2000 years, and the land surrounding them is rich with archaeology, so large scale permanent damage will be done.

Please take a look at the Friends of Thornborough web site, and if you decide that the destruction of the land surrounding the henges is something worth stopping, sign the petition:

http://www.friendsofthornborough.org/

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Please pass it on to anyone you know who might be interested.

Reply | with quote
Kammer
Posted by Kammer
5th November 2003ce
10:43

4 replies:

Re: Email circullar (Kammer)
Re: Email circullar (Moth)
Re: Email circullar (Earthstepper)
Re: Email circullar (Earthstepper)

Messages in this topic: