The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: and another thing...
173 messages
Select a forum:
<People who are autistic, or who have the related Asperger's syndrome, have minds which seem to be extreme versions of the male brain>
(From morfe's link)

So says Baron-Cohen, and who am I to argue?

But bear in mind this kinda thing is more accurately described as a continuum. Some people are more inclined to get obsessive and "anoraky" than others, they do seem to be more men in this category. However there are more variables used to describe the autistic continuum than obssesive behaviour, one of them is socialbility, another is empathy. The less sociable, less empathic, the further along the continuum an individual is said to be.

The fact that the self-proclaimed "megaraks" are chugging about on a forum such as this could be evidence either way, are they more sociable as they are communicating with each other, or are they less so as they would rather communicate via a screen than face to face? You decide. My missus is psychologistic, and I have had this "male-brain-geek=autistic-spectrum-disorder" discussion on a number of occasions.

I'm fairly sure I will have offended someone with the above remarks, if so, not my intention. No value-judgements attached. I get well hacked off at the labeling of individuals and the categorising of their traits. So what if men like to categorise things and obsess about them? That's probably why they moved all those stones all those years ago anyway! It's certainly less contentious than categorising and obsessing about people and their traits.

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
26th September 2003ce
15:07

In reply to:

Re: and another thing... (morfe)

1 reply:

Re: and another thing... (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: