The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: when is an elf more than an elf?
173 messages
Select a forum:
"At what point does the elf become a deity - "

This for me is the biggy. To me it is the moment that man became Man. It is the moment that something became more important than *I*, which is why I have come to think about this so much.

"what is it that makes it cross that line? Is it simply the fact that people have taken it to be the "top elf"? Because this begs the question of why they should hone in on that particular spirit of place and not one of the others - what qualities inherent in the mytheme itself made it stand out in that way?"

I think the difference is the latter stage needs a POET, a STORYTELLER. There was a stage when we could descern something frightened/impressed/whatevered us, but it needed a storyteller to make it 'real'.

I don't know when this moment happened, but I think it needed that final touch. I see a difference between being in awe of and grateful for the sun and thinking that the sun is Ragazoomingmumps riding in his sky chariot. I'm sure it goes way, way back.

I am really glad you asked the questions, by the way. It's made me think a great deal about what was to me just an idea.

I fully appreciate your point about equivalent roles, but to me there's a tiny difference. Perhaps part of that difference is expecting more than the original purpose. Something like - you expect more than a good harvest from the sun, like being carried to the afterlife or something (on a camel of course). This requires a storyteller to set it up.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
25th September 2003ce
06:26

Messages in this topic: