The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Trainspotting
173 messages
Select a forum:
I missed that weblog of Tombo's, too.

Having had my attention drawn to it, I disagree with the whole tone of his article and here are a couple of thoughts in way of a reply.

As a young lad, I was a trainspotter...with an anorak. As well as standing at the end of station platforms, jotting down engine numbers, I had a good knowledge of the British railway system. On seeing a locomotive, I could tell you exactly what type of locomotive it was, where it was built and by whom, where its usual base was, what type of traffic it was designed to haul.......and so on. I see nothing wrong with having such an interest; does anyone? Way back then, some people derided me for my hobby, as do some now, when I go off to look at some 'rocks' or 'bumps in the ground'. If someone collects stamps then I see no reason to mock them. The way I see things, derision of such a pastime is born out of ignorance or misunderstanding, just as I sometimes wonder at the hobbies of some others.

<I>A megarak....</I>[makes]<I>....cries of denial: "we can never hope to understand the purpose of these places or the intentions of their builders", and "all those who claim to know anything of the purpose of these places or the intentions of their builders are indulging in nothing more than speculation".
This is nihilism at its worst: denying even the possibility of knowledge because you personally don't know.</I>

Ha! My experience is exactly the opposite to what you claim! There used to be a pagan-inspired collective going under the name Cruithni. I was denied involvement *precisely* because I have an open mind as to whether or not we will eventually discover the meaning and use of prehistoric monuments!

Andy Burnham claims to have devised the word 'megarak' and this is how he says that the term 'anorak' was first applied to certain enthusiasts:

http://www.anoraknation.com/knowledge/free_radio/000002.html

baz

Reply | with quote
baza
Posted by baza
24th September 2003ce
18:41

In reply to:

Tombo's weblogs... (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: