The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Copt Howe Forum Start a topic | Search
Copt Howe
back on subject
55 messages
Select a forum:
I fancied a lazy day and so myself and my partner headed down to the visitor's centre at Glendalough - we've been to the place many times but never bothered with the centre itself until now.

I kinda wish I hadn't! A little sign in there by a bullaun stone said that they were probably for grinding grain and that later belief held that the waters collecting in them could cure warts etc. It then went on to state that Glendalough has over 30 bullauns many of which are along an ancient road, now called St. Kevin's Way, which links Glendalough across the Wicklow Mountains to Hollywood (yeah!) on the west of the range.

I found the first statement and the second fact to be totally contradictory. Why, if they were for grinding corn, would they be spread along an ancient pilgramage route?

Anyway, I've seen about 7 of the bullauns around there, so guess what my winter months will be spent trying to do:-)

Oh and I think I may have found a bit of a proto temple today - a series of 'natural' stone circles and a huge quartz boulder 'proto altar' ... hhmmmm

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
5th October 2003ce
18:04

In reply to:

For Jeff (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: