The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Na Dromannan Forum Start a topic | Search
Na Dromannan
New Callanish Stone Circle Update
10 messages
Select a forum:
It'll not make any news programmes but I've discovered a new stone circle. It's between 30 and 35 metres in diameter, quite high up, in Knarsdale. The drought is causing the peat to pull away from the stones and this makes them easier to recognise. The vegetation is also dying on top of the stones - which are all on their sides. There's no footpath access and I've lost a pair of reading glasses up there. I'll get back later in the week with my turf knife and a sharp spade.

Also I've identified two arcs of the double circle at Kirkhaugh - for the same reasons. Like a great twit I didn't photograph it as I went past on the railway track (now South Tyne Trail). The farmers are very tense as they have little grass to fatten this year's lambs. I've never seen the hills as dry as this. Been drinking bad water - it takes a few days to find out - we take so much for granted ...

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
2nd September 2003ce
20:15

In reply to:

"New" Callanish Stone Circle Update (Joolio Geordio)

Messages in this topic: