The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Copt Howe Forum Start a topic | Search
Copt Howe
Copt Howe: calling Chris Collyer!
7 messages
Select a forum:
eyup!

After viewing your wonderful drawing of the rock art at Copt Howe, and reading your comments, I found myself drawn back to the idea that this could be a map. I'd gone cold on it since posting to be honest, but looking back now, I'm kind of split as to whether the idea does in fact work.

Looking at Stan Beckensalls drawing, it seems there are two layers, the fainter marks possibly being from an older carving. Your own drawing highlights the 'top' layer, which is the most interesting in terms of the map idea.

I posted a rough map of the Mickleden end of Langdale Valley yesterday, with contour lines deliberately left out, to try to figure how the two could correlate. It seems to work, the only problem being that it actually works at a number of scales! Finding the one which works best, and more importantly, one which would be of any use, is the problem. The annotated photograph from last year is now my least favourite interpretation, to be honest.

I intend to revisit the map over the next week or so, 'cause I'm not at all happy with the one I've produced, it was done in a rush, and looks like it (there are a few mistakes, and it's a bit difficult to read).

Another idea I've had is to go back to Langdale soon, walk the valley from Copt Howe to the axe factory, and try to make a map(s) based purely on observation. I know the area pretty well, so it'd be safe for me to disregard my OS map entirely, and work from sight and with the feel of the place (perceived distance, height, size etc.) I think this would yield some far more interesting results. If this was in fact a map, it would no doubt have been produced in a similar way, without the use of measuring equipment etc. Obviously, the condition of the Langdale valley (trackways, trees etc.) is much different now, but I reckon it's still worth a try. Also, it might be worth putting together some kind of visual essay, using photography to illustrate these observations. Whadda ya think?

Ta very much for reminding me of this, by the way :-)
IM

"Meanwhile the rock is there, it is large, and it controls, visually, the comings and goings in one of the most important prehistoric valleys in the world." Stan Beckensall. Prehistoric Rock Art in Cumbria. p47.

Reply | with quote
IronMan
Posted by IronMan
23rd August 2003ce
13:28

1 reply:

Re: Copt Howe: calling Chris Collyer! (Chris Collyer)

Messages in this topic: