The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ure-Swale Plateau Forum Start a topic | Search
Ure-Swale Plateau
Re: The Roman subjigation of a sacred space
16 messages
Select a forum:
Interesting stuff, thanks BrigantesNation. I'm not sure what my opinion is on this one - I guess I don't know the landscape around there well enough to be able to form one. I think that you have a good point when you say "there is no proof that anyone was using the henges other than a very small number of burials which we must assume were related", though. I'm pretty convinced by the fact that you started out unconvinced that the Romans built their roads to police the henges and have ended up thinking the opposite, too.

"Current thinking says that most single pit alignments are from a late Bronze Age or early Iron Age date."

This has confused me, though - probably because I'm ignorant! I thought that pits tended to indicate an extremely old date. I think that this is because I've read somewhere that the earliest phase of the Avebury monuments was pits. I'm probably wrong! - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

Reply | with quote
TomBo
Posted by TomBo
18th August 2003ce
12:35

In reply to:

Re: The Roman subjigation of a sacred space (BrigantesNation)

Messages in this topic: