The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Sacred Landscapes
208 messages
Select a forum:
"As a non-believer par excellence I would have to disagree totally with the half-hearted and amateur non-believers above who claim there no such thing as sacred"

Oh, that's very broad brushed and so silly to say that passionate and well articulated views giben the limitations of this discussion are half-hearted and amateur. You don't even know what I believe in, because I haven't actually said it yet! I am arguing for baza's general belief in no belief, but I don't actually equate the word 'sacred' solely with religion, so I CAN accept the phrase 'sacred landscapes' if it means 'highly valued' - and this is obviously conjecture anyway because we don't really know how important these sites and landscapes were to people - I do strongly believe that we will never really get to the bottom of it because our society is so so different that it is basically impossible to really know what people were thinking then, and if we really think we can, then it's simply our modern ego (that we surely must be able to undertand things) overtaking reality.

Reply | with quote
pure joy
Posted by pure joy
30th July 2003ce
22:31

In reply to:

Re: Sacred Landscapes (nigelswift)

2 replies:

Society so different? (morfe)
Re: Sacred Landscapes (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: