The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
Re: Any recommendations in Northumberland?
68 messages
Select a forum:
Cor blimey - after all that!

Looks like I was the only one that could be arsed to go exploring after all - so we didn't!

Well, the company I was in were not in the best of health, bless em, so we just did the easy options...

I feel a bit ashamed to admit these, but here goes... ;o)

Thursday, we went to Lindisfarne (Holy Island), as this was something we all fancied. It's a bit of a pilgrimage for most of the party for personal reasons, and was, actually, very nice! Liked the drive across the causeway. Nice ruins of Priory. Didn't go to the castle due to it being too much of a walk (not for me! Nossir! I would have been up there like a shot given half the chance!)

Friday, we went to Vindolanda Roman (sorry!) Fort. That was impressive. I know there are a few stern views regarding our frinds the Romans, but it really is hard to ignore the scale of the place... Funny to think that after this period we were back to chucking our own poo out of the windows into the streets... ;o) The reconstructions were a bit embarrassing, tho, but the cake in the tea room was stunning..! Then a nice drive back along the B6319 or something, along the route of Hadrian's Wall, anyway, which was nice. Lovely views! Lots of forts, bits of wall, and a Mithran Temple...

Saturday was hard work! Went out to Colwell (wherever the hell that is!) to look for 3 holy wells. Found 2 of them - Coley's Wll & Pricky's Well (chortle!). Both in serious states of disrepair. Very sad, but glad we found them. Pricky's Well (tee-hee!) was almost indistinguishable, but was right by the road. It was pretty much a square hole with no markings at all... I think it was the well anyway! Nah - I'm sure it was... Saw my first Heron as well - which was nice. And a cow scared me. I'm reet hard, I am! Couldn't find the third well, so went to go home. Stopped off in a pub, and picked up a leaflet which mentioned "Lady's Well" somewhere that looked (by the scribbled map on the back) quite near. Nearly ran out of petrol! Didn't even find the twatting thing! Oh well - saw some nice countryside that otherwise I wouldn't have done... Back via Warkworth Castle along the coastal route, stopping off at Whitley Bay to see Old Hartley (http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=1790) which we did from a distance (cos it was getting on a bit by then), but will go see it proper loike next time.

So I'm now sick of driving.

All in all, not what I expected of my trip up North, but it'll do! Off to Cornwall in a few weeks, and I KNOW that'll be a lot more productive! Yay!

Just thought I'd let you know, anyway...

G
xx

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
26th August 2003ce
07:28

Messages in this topic: