The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
over the edge
68 messages
Select a forum:
There's an outlier to Kirkhaugh - at Alston. Search under 'Whitehouse'. It's by the roadside. I'm going to try and get to those three curricks next, and then down to the churchyard, across the river.

I'm camped at about 630 m. Also please take a look at the stone rows at 'Thornhope'. The southern one is certainly original, the northern one is less certain. Also the hill at Eals.

Most of the larger stones at Kirkhaugh have been 'dressed' smooth. Some still have copper/bronze chisel marks. There seems to have been a curved bolster chisel used on some stones. Nobody clears boulders to the middle of the field. A short section - 15 m. - of the old Alston road is lined by megalithic boulders. That only leaves about four and a half thousand large rocks. Look for the wicket - the ceremonial entranceway - on the northwestern corner of Smallhenge. The door stones and the corners should be significantly aligned. There'll have been another 'wicket' to the small henge - probably at the southeastern corner - which is now lost. There's no suggestion of burials in these LMR's - the ditches are usually inside the bank - at Kirkhaugh the ditch is outside the bank. Most are known as cropmarks and are associated with the Neolithic era - 500, or whatever, years before this one. It's not even been tape measured yet. May have significant Megalithic Yards.

Alfred Watkins proscribed ley lines as that was the dominant paradigm then. On the ground, and the curricks show it, the connections were much more three-dimensional. As a web. There are three curricks that I've quickly restored, among the Three Pikes. There's a new road up from behind Hanging Shaw (it's signposted on the main road, at the WI hut, in Knarsdale).

I'm surveying the butterflies in the heather - they are very short sighted ... Fast though.

Lovely wall ...

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
23rd July 2003ce
16:12

In reply to:

Postcards From The Edge (TomBo)

Messages in this topic: