The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
letter from Northumberland
68 messages
Select a forum:
Kirkhaugh takes ages to understand - I have a years start - the ceremonial site is over four fields. It was a medium size whatever-it-was - Tom was right second time with Gamelands-like +. The thing I've called 'Smallhenge' is on the county SMR, updated this October, as a 'Long Mortuary Enclosure'. Geophysics would be ideal but a large scale plan of all the stones should be a beginning.

I've found another currick belonging to it, making six, so far, and I've found that the old houses that are dropping to bits, above the road, Holy Mire, and the one next to it, contain prehistoric stones - and the farmyard walls too - and there's a stone dump up here that is full of ex-megaliths. A couple of perforated stones in the walls.

But the visitor pressure is starting to polarise the residents already. I've been identifying a prehistoric pathway from it to a nearby settlement site - that's led to a bunch of significant stones about three miles away ! I can't see a pattern in them yet. Waymarkers ...

I may have found a small stone spiral though. I'm not sure about it yet. I should cut the rushes about it so it stands out more. That sheep (or horse) trough front aligns with the start of it. Another side of the trough lines with a sunset currick on the horizon. I'm hoping to describe this little trough as 'England's Largest Cupmark'. Have also found the founds of an extremely old sheepfold - RB or older - beside a megalithic (something or other) on a hillside.

Feel like the yachtsman in the Tony Hancock ham radio enthusiast sketch ! (signing off ! going below to bail out for a couple of hours ! will try and dry these flares !)

And so on

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
23rd July 2003ce
08:54

In reply to:

Re: Northumberland (BrigantesNation)

1 reply:

Postcards From The Edge (TomBo)

Messages in this topic: