The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
Northumberland
68 messages
Select a forum:
The stuff in Newcastle is shite - and to be avoided at all costs. I'd like to 'restore' both of those features you mentioned.

It is low water in the River Tyne at the moment. When PebbleNicker went to look for the circle at Hexham I'd misrepresented its last known location by one digit. Within that hundred metres was the River South Tyne! By the map there should be just a walk of three or four hundred metres, down a footpath, to it. I haven't used a car for twelve years and am perpetually skint, so haven't seen it since 1974 or 5. Something should still be there.

My computer's had an obscure fault and I've been concentrating on my stonework - at around 1800 feet there's only a narrow window of opportunity. Am learning Ring ouzel.

The largest prehistoric sites in Northumberland are Milfield and Kirkhaugh. Kirkhaugh is disturbing as it has been so comprehensively trashed. Perversely I admire Hexham Abbey. It's a game to spot which stones were quarried by the Romans. And if you go to Brigantium please set fire to something ...

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
21st July 2003ce
20:17

3 replies:

Re: Northumberland (Jane)
Re: Northumberland (pebblesfromheaven)
Re: Northumberland (BrigantesNation)

Messages in this topic: