The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Ridgeway Forum Start a topic | Search
The Ridgeway
Re: Mister Grey-Andsensible speaks:
31 messages
Select a forum:
i think there is a case for treating SUV 4x4s as a special license class. i was close to death recently from one of these monsters - the driver just did not seem aware of the sheer width of the vehicle - and as it sped past, it clipped my panniers, leaving me precarious to say the least. i think that when urban motorists buy these toys, they may appeal mostly to the "unconfident" driver, who will derive a (false) sense of security from the scale of the beast. and then deny it, and claim they really need one, for how else can they ferry the kids to school? even if it was just a mandatory "awareness" course, that would help. of course its never going to happen. car culture is king, and alternative transport users basically use the road at their own risk, and forget all your quaint notions of highway code. as a child i used to laugh when i saw on the telly the size of the cars americans drive. and on the rare occasion of seeing one in the flesh, it just seemed obscene. but now, suddenly, they're everywhere. soon they'll outnumber people! look out!!

Reply | with quote
habibi
Posted by habibi
10th July 2003ce
21:07

Messages in this topic: