The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Fortingall Forum Start a topic | Search
Fortingall
Re: Scots Megaraks, Mr McGrail, anyone?
20 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks everyone. Is everyone still interested in trying to improve it?

The big sweet one seems to have summed up to everyone's satisfaction, especially mine, so 'what we gonna do about it, what we gonna do?'

First, let’s see if I’ve got this right….

Andy: <I>“Bridge of Lyon long cairn (NN 7296 4655)
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=2333
just a long cairn”</I>

This is currently on TMA as Fortingall long cairn also known as Bridge of Lyon. So is the only (slight) issue which name should it be listed under?

Andy: <I>“Bridge of Lyon standing stones (NN 7314 4641)
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=2331
one stone still standing, with one possible fallen one beside it”</I>

Currently on as Fortingall standing stone also known as…. So again, it’s just the name if anything?

Andy: <I>“Lyon Bridge cairn (NN 7317 4657)
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=2332
the remains of a cairn which legend has it is the grave of Pontius Pilate, which has a long cup-marked stone on it, believed to once have stood upright”</I>

Currently, and a bit confusingly, this is on TMA as Fortingall Cup Marked Stone Cup and Ring Marks/Rock Art, with a host of AKAs including Pontius Pilate’s Grave. Also duplicated as Linne Loiny with one digit of the map ref different.

Which is a bit complicated to sort out.

Would the best way around it be:

1. To simply have separate pages for the (not long) cairn and the rock art and delete the Linne Loiny page, adding it as an AKA for the cairn.

OR

2. Create a group page for ‘Bridge of Lyon’. Rename the (not long) cairn and rock art and delete the Linne Loiny page, adding it as an AKA for the cairn.

OR

3. Move the lot into a new ‘group’ page for ‘Bridge of Lyon’. This would then include a page each for the long cairn, standing stone(s), cairn and rock art. Rename each item as ‘Bridge of Lyon’ cairn/standing stones/etc with all other names included as AKAs, including Linne Loiny as an AKA for the (not long) cairn. Delete the Linne Loiny page.

OR

4. Do ‘3’ without the ‘group page’.

OR

5. Forget about it and have a nice lump of sticky toffee pudding.

Despite my dislike of ‘group pages’ I think I like ‘3’ best with a big number 5 to follow. What do you peeps think? Any better ideas?

Finally, we all seem uncomfortable with the grouping together of Fortingall and Kenmore. To my mind, this grouping does nothing useful and we should see if Holy would see fit to just get rid and let all of them just come under Perthshire.

Or perhaps just group Fortingall circle(s) and church under ‘Fortingall’, have the ‘Bridge of Lyon’ grouping and leave Appin of Dull and Kenmore church ‘loose’ under Perthshire?

love

Moth

Reply | with quote
Moth
Posted by Moth
8th July 2003ce
20:19

Messages in this topic: