The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Not done!
204 messages
Select a forum:
Morfe, O horned one!

This'll be quite a short reply because I can't really say anything but "right on, I agree with all of that"!

"We modern people look at spirituality and rationalism in a polarising fashion, I find this to be a core error (I'm being brave) in modern thought."

That's at the very heart of what I believe, and I couldn't put it any better than that.

I like the way you (correctly, in my view) point the finger at reductionism. We Moderns have such a tendency to belittle the wondrous by saying that its "just" something or "merely" another thing. Statements like this (for example - "its just aesthetics") are made from a perspective without a sense of wonder. Wonder is a wonderful thing, don't you think?

By the way, Morfe, I loved your description (in the Hernea thread) of your encounters with the horned one whilst alone in the woods. BOO! Scary stuff! It was the bit about the windswept, crashing branches reminding you of antlers that really got me. I've often wondered why the deity that many call "Cernunnos" has antlers rather than horns. I think that what you were saying is an explanation for this that should certainly not be lightly dismissed. Oh, and are you still trying to raise a million quid?

Reply | with quote
TomBo
Posted by TomBo
30th June 2003ce
14:57

In reply to:

Not done! (morfe)

1 reply:

Re: Not done! (morfe)

Messages in this topic: