The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Worcestershire Ramble part 2
204 messages
Select a forum:
And this ties in with what Morfe is saying about his mistrust of the word "nature" (which implies that we are something separate from nature). When I see a bird's nest I am reminded of a house, and when I see an ant-hill or a bee's nest I am reminded of a city. I cannot call anything made by human hands anything but natural. We are a part of nature, and therefore everything we make is natural. Ultimately I agree with you, though, Nigel. I choose to live in the countryside, not the city, after all. But I am not blind to the beauty of humanity's works, even those works that are destroying our world. Indeed, I often feel a strange sense of guilt for finding such things as the Redcar steelworks beautiful. I'd sooner have the heath every time, mind you!

And isn't that what's great about ancient monuments? Humanity leaving permanent marks on the landscape for the first time. But what marks! So in harmony with their natural surroundings (unlike the cement works near my home!). This is one of the things I find the most thrilling about such places - to see humanity and nature working together, in harmony.

To finish here's a quote from Keats (Ode on a Grecian Urn):

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty, - that is all
Ye know on earth and all ye need to know"

Reply | with quote
TomBo
Posted by TomBo
30th June 2003ce
14:56

Messages in this topic: