The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
HILL FORTS
204 messages
Select a forum:
Oh boy, hill forts and Wychbury in particular, where do I start?

First of all it’s not necessarily the hill fort per se. Some do it some don’t. Most have something, if only the fabulous view. Woodbury is very nice, but not the atmosphere of Wychbury. British Camp is magnificent – mainly for the views. Maiden Castle is imperious – almost in an architectural sort of way. Caer Carodoc has a “feel” and fab views – no doubt; but a recent trip with Morfe to Bury Ditches near Clun was wonderful and the views just amazing, but it didn’t necessarily make me gag. Sometimes this will change with the weather of course.

Wychbury! Well what can I say? FW is right of course when he talks of the destruction and fear that might have gone hand in hand with such sites. And indeed Wychbury has a dark, menacing side to it, but there’s something else as well. I can concur with Morfe and say that I’ve known an number of people of different backgrounds and ages who, without prompting, have said that there is an “atmosphere” about the place. Hell, it’s the reason for me and Morfe getting to know each other! Is that the menacing side acting ;-)

For me? Well there is something about the place. It’s more than the hill fort, and here we enter the world of hunches, supposition, gut feelings and aesthetics. It definitely has the feel of a mother landscape to it. The hill itself and the rolling hillocks on its slopes. It also has a feeling for me of in some way being connected with the moon – pure gut feeling. The yew trees are magnificent and add to the grandeur of the place. But what I like is the continuity of it. Celtic field systems, burial mounds near-by, battle? – probably, Roman hoards and the fact that it might have been named after the Whicce tribe. In the 18th century some of it was landscaped in the great tradition of the time and even now at the foot of it lies “Wassel Grove Lane,” a hangover from more ancient times?

Thank you for listening

Reply | with quote
Posted by wychburyman
29th June 2003ce
22:07

In reply to:

insecurity (morfe)

1 reply:

Re: HILL FORTS (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: