The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
indespicable!
204 messages
Select a forum:
I can't either vouch for that vision to mean anything or nothing, it just *was*, and I cannot translate it scientifically or otherwise. Null hypotheses and empirical reductionist theory comes undone in such matters, I'm aware of this and find it rare I ever mention such things. I suppose there's nothing to say that someone couldn't have full-on vision experience whilst gazing into a pile of vomit in the subway after 12 pints of newcastle brown? doesn't mean it's any less or any more real? It's all in the translation I suppose, and Wychbury so far is untranslatable to me. Onwards...!

I've always found it odd that hillforts are considered somewhat less 'sacred' than Mother Hills or other sacred hills, presumably, as in the case of Wychbury, before defenses were hewn into them, they were just as feasibly part of a 'sacred' landscape? The clent hills range boasts a sacred well/spring, tumuli at Harborough Hill, in sight of Wychbury, and a pool in which offerings of pins has been found from prehistory. The whole site is peppered by worked stones and stands in line with Woodbury, and British Camp, northwards Dudley (castle hill) and Wednesbury (Woden). Also Frankley Beeches stand triumphantly on a strange hill to the north east. A clue to Wychbury's sacred or otherwise situation may lie in the proliferation of huge Yew trees inside the hill's defences, some exceeding 1500 yrs in age. Whatever it is, I don't think the landscape is measured so much by human interaction as by it's own characteristics. So many times I've walked to places, such as a wood or a valley, looking ostensibly like so many others, yet why do some have that feeling of almost slipping through time? The ones that really root you and hit you in the gut. Can't explain it. I'm not much of a megalith man, I some kicks in Avebury early on in life, it was like AGHYA!! Big fucking stones, processional sun/moon shit deep joy Yet somehow, conversely the Rollrights make me lie DOWN flat, quick. Then again Stonehenge leaves me, er, weirdly pessimistic (maybe all the coaches!). Still no place I have been has equalled Cader Idris, that place, at night time, it puts all the fear of the Goddess into me, yet makes my heart invincible and visibly/measuraby erases mental and physical pain. The slopes there, are whispering, primal oak groves, the feeling of being constantly watched. There is an old saying, that if one stays a night there, one wakes up either mad, or a poet. I think human 'intervention' in the natural landscape brings a thousand thousand different feelings into the mix. Whether it's an industrial estate, or a Frank Lloyd Wright vision perched beautifully over a wooded riverbank, a teepee (the ultimate in low impact dwelling) or a caravan. They say more about the occupier/builder than the land they are on, but there is a symbiosis, and maybe stones laid are for reverence, for focusing. Maybe more,who knows? I don't. But I'm caught by the kakpants and won't stop goin to those places :-)

Reply | with quote
morfe
Posted by morfe
29th June 2003ce
20:20

In reply to:

inexpicable ? (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: