The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Spirit of Place
204 messages
Select a forum:
Well, if he meant one of those on Wychbury Hill or Bredon Hill for instance, then I would report similar feelings. Not in terms of “auras” of course, they’re not my thing, and may not be his, but for my own- what I would regard as – joined up reasons. On the basis of my own reasons the fact that a place was soaked in blood, ancient or modern, would not have any relevance and only the surroundings and landscape would since that’s all I think I’m picking up. On any measure those places are pretty nice. Whether there were ancient people that thought that I can't say but think it likely and whether anyone ever held those places to be "worth defending" rather than just "good defensively" I also can't say, but think it possible. But if I'm wrong on both counts then, as I’ve said elsewhere, it’s nature and aesthetics that rings my bell and not all such places contain ancient sites (though an awful lot do).

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
29th June 2003ce
12:43

In reply to:

Re: Spirit of Place (FourWinds)

1 reply:

Re: Spirit of Place (morfe)

Messages in this topic: