The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Quibbling Skeptic
204 messages
Select a forum:
I'm sorry, but you will notice that I haven't called TomBo the skeptic, but you :-)

Yes, the main thread is about spirit of place, but your response of declaring me Healthily Skeptic was to my statement that - no one can put themselves in anyone else's shoes. That's the truth, I'm afraid. I am not skeptical about the possibility of this. It isn't possible! Fact.

All I was pointing out was that because we disagree on something that *YOU* believe in, doesn't automatically make me the skeptic. That would imply you were right and I doubted. A point of view that puts me in the posistion of having to prove my case while you sit back and say that you are right because you are right.

That ain't right :-)

To put it simply : I am not agnostic in these issues - I am firmly athiest.

A place can have an ambience built up by its constituant parts; the site itself and the landscape and its position in the landscape. By saying that a place is more beautiful to be in than another because of some 'spirit of the place' is to say that something (or worse someone) is more beautiful than another because it deserves to be. An argument I find wholly ofensive.

To say that a thing is more beautiful than another because of anything other than the luck of the draw is outside of my beliefs.

Move a site 100m and what's the difference? If the site has a significant alignment then you can still preserve that alignment by moving 100m along that line. I bet we'd all say that this newer position was still beautiful. So how far does this go? How far could you move a site?

Do you drive along a road viewing the landscape and think "Oh this is alright" and then suddenly get to one spot and think "Wow! This is awesome!" and then drive on a little way and start to think that it's 'alright' again? I don't think so.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
29th June 2003ce
11:44

In reply to:

Re: Quibbling Skeptic (Shestu)

1 reply:

Re: Quibbling Skeptic (Shestu)

Messages in this topic: