The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Clune Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Clune Hill
Monthamock/Wheywells/Clune Hill ....
3 messages
Select a forum:
This follows on from a reply I posted in the TMA Gazeteer about a stone circle near Aberdeen which is known as any of the above. There was an update in my local Aberdeen newspaper about this Offroad centre :

http://www.thisisnorthscotland[...]sect=Local%20News&ID=52704

and it got me wondering what had happened when they started the offrod driving through the woods where the circle is. Well, I managed to find this update article which is either from earlier this year or last year at :

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/articles/news/article036.html

of which the disturbing parts are :

"early into work starting on creating the paths vehicles will use, one of the routes had gone straight through a burial cairn in Kirkton Forest.
Local resident Sheila Duthie, who discovered the damage to the ancient burial monument, said yesterday: "I think what they have done is little more than vandalism. It was only by luck that more damage wasn't done."
The cairn, one of two monuments in close proximity to each other in the heart of Kirkton Woods, has been long regarded locally as an important monument.
Although overgrown, the centuries-old site - thought to date back almost 1,000 years - is still visible, but three stones from its top were ripped off by the digger making its way through the forest to create one of the tracks the Land Rover vehicles will use.
Aberdeenshire Council archaeologist Ian Shepherd said he had inspected the site on Thursday evening.
If the original holes from which the three stones were removed can be found, then the circle will be able to be restored. "

So, is it too late ???.... Maybe I should have investigated sooner.. in fact I wish I had now. I don't stay in Aberdeen anymore so it's hard to do much about it from here but any comments or suggestions are more than welcome.

Zeppo

Reply | with quote
Posted by Zeppo
1st December 2000ce
13:22

Messages in this topic: