The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Beckhampton Avenue Forum Start a topic | Search
Beckhampton Avenue
Re: Beckhampton avenue - serpent's tail or tal...
18 messages
Select a forum:
harv wrote:

"The Beckhamton Avenue has always been a bit of a megalithic hot potato. According to John Aubrey, in his 'Prehistoric Avebury' book, the modern school of thought is that it definitely DID exist, and Stukeley was right all along with his Serpent picture, clearly showing two avenues from the great circle.
But what proof exactly do we have for the existence of the Beckhampton Avenue?"

confirmed beyond all doubt by archaeologists in 2000

"I thought little or no serious study had been done thus far, and it's always amazed me that of the two avenues, one has many large stones remaining, stretching for nearly a mile; yet the other only has two (Adam & Eve)".

Alexander Keiller is responsible for much that you will see on the West Kennet Avenue, as elsewhere at Avebury - an incomplete visionary project - only a third of the avenue has been restored/is visible today; the rest is still buried or the stones destroyed in antiquity; you can still see avenue stones, however, beside the A4 as it ascends towards the Sanctuary; these stones lie where they were toppled by indifferent road builders, half submerged - half visible lying prone in a field - oh for a JCB and WHS to look the other way!

"Is the jury still out on the Beckhampton Avenue, or am I missing something? I'll be beck in Avebury next month and plan to check out Adam & Eve for myself".

Stukeley, in two plans, shows the termination to the Beckhampton Avenue in two separate places a) at Harepit Down, and b) Knoll Down; i will go for Knoll Down, it is the mirror site of the Sanctuary which is visible (and Silbury) from Knoll Down and the last point going West from where you can see most of the elements of neolithic Avebury

Incidentally, a resident (passed over) of Avebury village told me the villagers always referred to the North Cove as 'Adam and Eve'; the Longstones were always called that: 'the Longstones', in Longstones Field. She had a framed drawing of the North Cove by one of the Avebury incumbents, titled "Adam & Eve".

bests,

ric

< [email protected] >

Reply | with quote
Posted by m6
7th January 2006ce
01:48

Messages in this topic: