The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cerrig y Gof Forum Start a topic | Search
Cerrig y Gof
Re: What a weird place!
5 messages
Select a forum:
Here's a quote from <I>Prehistoric Preseli</I>, by N.P. Figgis:<BLOCKQUOTE>There are a few other tombs of vaguely similar pattern in western Scotland and eastern Ireland, but they are rare and none is really very similar. Fenton, the early nineteenth-century Pembrokeshire antiquarian, explored [Cerrig y Gof] when it was already in much the same state as it is today, and found some black pebbles (unusual - white quartz is common), charcoal and bits of unburned human bone along with what he described as sherds of the 'rudest' pottery, all now sadly lost.</BLOCKQUOTE>Here's more from <I>Neolithic Sites of Cardiganshire Carmarthenshire & Pembrokeshire</I> by G. Children and G. Nash:<BLOCKQUOTE>Cerrig y Gof was excavated in 1811 by Fenton... he believed a central cromlech originally completed the complex. This argument is disputed because the central area is too small to accommodate a chamber of a size similar to the other five.</BLOCKQUOTE>These two books are excellent resources if you're planning a trip to the area.

Kammer x

Reply | with quote
Kammer
Posted by Kammer
29th May 2003ce
12:54

In reply to:

Re: What a weird place! (marcusb2000)

Messages in this topic: